Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cross-training Weight Loss

One of the reasons I began running is to lose weight. I am sure many of us have used that as a reason to run. When I returned from my three week honeymoon and a weekend cheering my sister on in the Disney marathon this year in mid-January I stepped on the scale. I was shocked and surprised to see it read 252 lbs. Never in my life had I topped the 250 mark. Needless to say, I was not happy with that sight and knew some things had to change. I first began with some walking/running. Then I began to take a look at the foods I consumed. Now, about a month and a week later I stepped on the scale this morning. To my delightful eyes I read the numbers 247 lbs. I was so happy to begin seeing the weight loss I went ahead and ate breakfast, had some lunch later in the day, along with a light snack in the middle. To top it all off, for dessert I had a good 90 minute cross-training session in the fitness room with two bottles of Propel, again one lemon and one berry. There are a couple of ways I can go from here.

First, the cross training session. I started out with a round of strength training doing 15 reps of the bench press, shoulder press, bicep curls, tricep pulldowns, reverse biceps, lats, leg press and calf raises. Next I moved over to the stationary bike for 20 minutes and 3.9 miles. It was warmer in the fitness room than usual, as a result I downed the first bottle of Propel during the biking and right before I started the second round of the strength training. Round two of strength training was the same as round one. At the conclusion, I got on the eliptical for 40 minutes, covering 2.5 miles and finishing off the second bottle of Propel. To finish off the day's workout I made one final round of the weights, repeating the same number of reps.

Second, when I returned home from the workout I had a banana, a blackberry yogurt and two pints of water. When I stepped on the scale before I jumped in the shower it read 245 lbs. WOW!!! I chalk that weight loss up to the depletion of liquids, which I would soon remedy with more water afterward.

The third thing for today deals with the weigh-ins. I know most of you might say don't get too excited over a single weigh-in at a certain weight because it will fluctuate. You may also want to tell me how muscle weighs more than fat and not to get discouraged when I don't see the weight coming off right away. That is true and I am aware of it. But, I will also say that over the course of this past week I have been monitoring my weight, and this is the third time I have hit the 247 lbs., enough for me to be convinced that the growing muscles are now starting to eat away that fat.

Through the running catalyst I have begun and a further look into the foods I eat, the changes I make hope to help me reach my target weight goal. Ultimately, I would like to see myself get out of the 200s and find myself happily around 185. But first things first, I will break it down into 10 lb increments and allow myself a reward upon completion of each 10 lbs. Anyone have suggestions for some quality self-rewards? My starting weight on this mission was 252, I am now at 247, yet I will not accept my first reward until the 240 mark has been successfully achieved.

Please share your comments. I welcome your thoughts.

2 comments:

Andria said...

I think great rewards are things to encourage you to workout more. You have the basics of what you need for working out, but wouldn't you love a new pair of hi-tech running shorts or a cool shirt. Think of things that would make you feel special, that you wouldn't do for yourself. Save the bigger items for the bigger milestones.

Congrats. I can't wait to see you again so we can talk more running. Woohoo!

What Me Run? said...

Yea for you! I am really excited about your weight loss. Mine has slowed - mostly because my focus is more on running. I like A's suggestions for rewards.

I am reading oldest to newest, so I see you have lost even more since this point. Yeah