Monday, February 18, 2008

Books, Food and a Short Run

I have read and heard that there are good days and bad days in running. In some ways I feel I felt my first bad day today. Today I set out for two miles. My plan was to walk the first mile and then run what I could for the second, then I would do a half mile cooldown around my condo complex. Run time temperature was 50 degrees on a beautiful clear day, I thought it would be great for getting out and running. Three quarters of the way into my first mile I decided to go ahead and start the running, I was feeling good. I found a stride that felt good and went with it, yet I did not really pay attention to the pacing and my body tired rather quickly within the next quarter mile. Returning to a walk I did a recovery quarter mile then stepped up the speed again. Although, this time I paid more attention to my pacing and managed to maintain a slower, yet more consistent speed over a greater distance. That I was happy with. With another quarter mile recovery walk and one more stint on the run I finished up walking it in. At the end of two miles I had gone at an overall 14:21 pace. By the end of my cooldown I had covered 2.71 miles at an overall pace of 15:16. My cooldown was really slow. Now what makes me feel like this was a bad day is that (a) I feel like I labored more during the run than I should have, and (b) throughout the rest of the afternoon my body ached a bit more than it had in the past. I think my body was expecting more activity and when I called it quits at the point when I usually find that light switch it just did not know what to do.

Moving onto other run-related activities, I spent a good bit of time today working on my blog site, giving you more information in the sidebar. It was a pleasure doing it and I have a list of some other additions to come in time. Also today, while out running errands I swung by Borders Bookstore to pick up a book I read about online just the other day. It is called Eat This, Not That. It is a great book for the traveler or anyone that has to or chooses to eat out frequently. It does not tell you to not eat out, what it does do is tell you alternative selections to certain menu items at numerous popular restaurants to help watch your caloric intake. It is quite a jaw dropping eye opener. There is also a section for when you go to the grocery store. The reviews I had read about it were enough to make me go out and get it. And, since I was at Borders and had a 40% off coupon with a $20 purchase, the book was just under $20, I also picked up Running for Mortals, another book written by "The Penguin" John Bingham. Following my book purchases I made my way over to the grocery store. The importance of the grocery store is that I made a change in my cereal purchase this week. Instead of Special K or whatever sweet cereal I was craving, I took advantage of the 3 for $8 Kashi cereals, picking up three different kinds to sample. Now, my marathon sister has been eating this stuff for years so it is not foreign to me. However, now that I am trying to get my weight down and have running goals, I figure this is a good move forward to aid in both goals.

5 comments:

Ken said...

We also went to the bookstore this weekend. I did not have a coupon. Here is what we purchased:

Vickie - Non Runners Marathon Trainer & Birnbaum's Guide to Disneyland 08'
Ken - Marathon and Beyond January/February 2008 issue
Sarah - Junie Jones
Emily - Spongebob
Thomas - Toy Story

Total = $58.00

Andria said...

Okay, first tip, you need to start slow with the kashi. The go lean crunch is what you should start with, it's kind of sweet. The regular go lean has "Soy twigs" or something in it, so it can be scary. haha!

Oh my word, Kenny is funny.

It's okay to be sore. You did a much faster pace than what you've been doing so your muscles had to work differently. You should do some speed work. It's good for you. But you have plenty of books to read about why it's good for you. LOL!

Ken said...

Now Vickie wants to buy a treadmill - this marathon keeps getting more expensive.

Andria said...

I know Kenny, Chino says the same thing. I want this, I want that, plus the registration fees and plane tickets. Good thing we married patient people.

What Me Run? said...

I agree with Andi. I hope you started with the Go Lean Crunch. I still eat it - I don't care for breakfast cereal with twigs in it. (Although it is good later in the day...). I may look for the food choice book. I've been doing weight watchers, and it is amazing how much fat/calories/unhealthy stuff there is when you order. My biggest surprise - the Blooming Onion at Outback - 78 points. For me (a woman weighing 225 pounds), I should eat 25 points a day. That one item is 3 days worth of food!
You are doing great. Keep going! A bad day of running is ok - you will look back and see a year of great running.