Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cool Running

To keep from continually complaining here I am jumping right to the run. Tuesday was a light day for me, only 2 miles on tap. It was 9pm when I finally got the chance to get my run in. The fitness room was locked up. I did not have reflective gear, so, dressed in my lightest colored sweats I opted to do laps around my condo complex. Each lap came in at .56 miles. I did the first lap rather slow, as a warm up. With the temperatures outside being at 32 degrees I wanted to get moving so I would feel warm. My next three laps continually got faster with each one. Throughout the run I was trying to remain focused on my pacing, keeping it more stable. In the past, when not on the treadmill, I have had the problem of my pace fluctuating. Having GARMIN at hand, or rather just above my hand, I was able to continue checking on the pacing. For much of the run I was hovering in the 14:09-14:45 range. During the fourth lap I managed to get the pace steadily in the 13:30-13:50 range. I even looked down and saw the pacing in the 12:30-12:40 range for about a tenth of a mile. Upon completion of my four laps I took a fifth lap as a cool down. My total mileage for the run came in at 2.87 in 43:23, including the cooldown lap. Here are my average pace speeds for the .56 mile loop:

Lap 1: 15:51
Lap 2: 15:35
Lap 3: 14:04
Lap 4: 13:43
Lap 5: 16:21

A great thing about this run is I felt revived. I don't know if it was the cool air or the results on GARMIN when I got inside on the computer to analyze. Either way, I really did feel good about this. Looking at the graph on the computer I was much more successfull in stabilizing my pace and it was easier to see the speeding up as the distance went on.

Today, Wednesday was an off day all around. I took a total rest day. Thursday will be 5 miles with speedwork, Friday I will cross-train, Saturday will be another complete rest day because of work, and I will finish the week Sunday with a 6 mile run after I work the Women's Basketball game at OU. I would love to get outside for the 6 miles but I will have to wait and see what time I get home and if I will have enough daylight.

2 comments:

Andria said...

Good job on getting the run in. I was wondering how far it was around the condo complex. That's a great measurement to know.

Tracie said...

I am impressed with the whole Eaton crowd - you guys are truly motivated - you are doing an awesome job of continuing to run. I really have to get me one of those Garmin things - I know Ken loves his. Seems as though it has come in super handy for you too. Continue to stay motivated!!