Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Windy Running

Sorry for the brief absence. I was a little busy trying to get everything together for my taxes. Now that the bulk of that stress is behind me I can take the time to tell you about my newest stress--running in wind. Living in Oklahoma it is no surprise that it is windy here. Heck, for someone who chases tornadoes, a.k.a. wind, I know well enough it is windy here. However, this is the first windy season I have been running in it. My last three runs here in Oklahoma have been in a sustained wind of 20 mph or more with gusts continually at 30 mph or higher. Two silver linings in the wind are that it helps to keep me cool and when running into it it helps build upon my speed in the long term.

My last two runs I have headed out solo. On Sunday I put in 10 miles, running along the route I have dubbed the Target Ten. It is a five mile route from my house to Target and then a return trip along the same route. The wind was at my face coming out of the North for the first five miles. Wouldn't you know it that when it was time to turn around the 20 mph wind died off and was almost non-existant. So much for having it help push me home. I set out at the beginning in my usual walking to warm-up. About 1.5 miles in I decided to kick it up and begin the running. After I quarter mile of battling the wind I decided I would walk the rest of the day. I figured I had 10 miles to cover and with having covered 10 miles in the previous two days following a week of sickness there was no need to over exert myself. The end result of my run was 10 miles in a time of 2:20:52. My mileage splits for the Target Ten on Sunday were:

Mile 1: 15:06
Mile 2: 14:07
Mile 3: 14:23
Mile 4: 13:59
Mile 5: 13:51
Mile 6: 13:50
Mile 7: 13:49
Mile 8: 13:35
Mile 9: 13:49
Mile 10: 14:17

Looking at these numbers makes me feel great. They were done at a fast walk and the first five were into the wind. Mile 10 was slower because I was aiming for a cooldown.

Today I set out for another 3 miles, again training in the 20 mph wind. Only this time I did not have to contend with the wind in my face for much longer than a half mile as my route took me along what I call the Home 5k Loop, even though it is slightly more than a 5k coming in at 3.3 miles. I did not really have a plan for today's run at the start. However, after the first tenth of a mile I decided to do something I have not done in the past. That was to run at the start. With a tenth of a mile walked behind me I went on to run and complete the first mile. I then took a two minute walk to start the second mile before I returned to running to complete the second mile. Once again I took a two minute walk to start the third mile before I ran the remainder of my 5k (3.1 miles). Once I clocked my fastest 5k time at 38:22 I proceeded to do a cooldown walk for the final .23 miles home. Overall I covered 3.33 miles in 41:30. Both times here were my fastest to date. My mileage splits for the 5k loop today were:

Mile 1: 12:21
Mile 2: 12:37
Mile 3: 12:20
Mile .33: 4:11 (12:44 pace)

One interesting note towards the end of the run is I found a comfortable groove and my pace was quickening. It is not uncommon for me to be faster towards the end as my muscles have stretched out and all, but for the final quarter mile of the running 5k I had a consistent pace below 12:00 with about half of it below 11:00. Two additional factors beside having been stretched out and warmed up to aide in the faster pacing are the wind was at my back and perhaps subconciously I knew I was nearing the end, therefore willing to draw more upon the tank.

With my first race in less than two weeks I only have a few more runs on tap. Wednesday I will be putting in 8 miles, Friday a short 2 miles, Saturday I hit it for 9 more. Next week I have a 2 and a 5 miler with the week concluding on April 27 with 13.1 miles at the Oklahoma City Memorial Half-Marathon. Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

I am so so so so proud of you honey!!! Yay for 5K PR's!! :D