Sunday, April 20, 2008

Embassy Eleven


Excuses, excuses! Sorry for the delay in posting this weekend. Yesterday was my wife’s drinking birthday and the first night of Passover. Passover services went much later than we expected and I was quite exhausted by the time we got home. After all, an 11 mile run can tire you out pretty well. That’s right; I said an 11 mile run. I was originally slated for 2 miles on Friday and 9 on Saturday, however, thanks to having to wait on the cable guy all day on Friday I never made it out for my 2 mile run. Wanting to get the miles in I just added them onto my Saturday run. Heck, it was only 1 mile longer than my longest run to date.


Now, one benefit to being home waiting on the cable guy Friday was that I was home when the UPS guy showed up and delivered my brand new Fuel Belt. Earlier in the week I had ordered the Terminator 6-bottle Fuel Belt for me to use on those longer runs. One challenge I had found out when doing my 10 mile runs was that my water bottle just did not have enough capacity to get me any longer. Therefore, I opted for the Fuel Belt, providing me with a few more ounces of liquid capacity. In addition, it also provides me with a little pouch to put my ID, cash, key, Gu Gel packs, and for those photographic runs I can even add in my compact camera (it will be handy passing through Disney’s Hollywood Studios towards the end of the Goofy Challenge).

It is time now to talk of the run. Despite my desire to wake early and get the run in before the heat I still managed to sleep in. By the time I had awoken the outside temperature had already reached 72 degrees. I ate my Power Bar, got dressed, slathered on the sunscreen, filled the Fuel Belt and laced up my Brooks. When I was finally ready to get out the door the temperature had risen another degree to 73. GARMIN took hardly any time to locate satellites this time. I was quite shocked. Could it have been the addition of the Fuel Belt? Just kidding. Locked in, I set out for 11 miles. At first I did not have a real plan of how I was going to break down the day’s run, but within a minute or two I devised a plan. I decided to try and work some speed into the beginning of my run rather than take the usual full 1-2 miles of warm up walking. This would work twofold. One, it would put some speed into my entire workout, but two, it would also help to reduce the time I would be spending in the higher temperatures. Knowing I would need to slow it down as the temperature went up I figured it would be better to more miles behind me before it got too hot. When you see my splits you will be able to see the results. Speaking of the splits, here they are:

Mile 1: 13:42
Mile 2: 13:54
Mile 3: 13:32
Mile 4: 12:26
Mile 5: 13:21
Mile 6: 13:16
Mile 7: 13:00
Mile 8: 13:25
Mile 9: 13:10
Mile 10: 14:16
Mile 11: 14:36

Accumulative Time: 2:28:43
Overall Average Pace: 13:31 / mile

As you can see, I did well until the last two miles. Today’s running route was along the Target Ten, only I went an additional half mile beyond it to where they are building the new Embassy Suites hotel here in Norman. Therefore, the name for this run is now the Embassy Eleven. When I reached the halfway point at the Embassy Suites the temperature had climbed up to 78 and I had consumed half the Gatorade in my Fuel Belt. Knowing it was approaching 80 I did not want to push it if my body was telling me not to. That is why in the last 2 miles the times were longer. Besides, the final mile I also intentionally planned to walk as a cool down. Also, I had a personal goal to want to try and get the first 9 miles in within 2 hours. Once I had achieved that the slow down began. By the time I finished my run the temperature had topped out at 84.

Wouldn’t you know it, the hottest run day this week there would be NO wind. After all the wind I had endured earlier in the week, nothing on this run but an occasional gentle breeze. Oh well! What’s one to do but drink more liquid? Speaking of drinking liquid, may I say how nice it was to not carry a water bottle in hand while running? It was quite enjoyable to be free of it. Here’s another question, kind of rhetorical, but also looking for insight. Why is it that I tend to find myself pushing harder and faster on the warmer days when I should be taking it easier and slower?

Non-running observations while out running yesterday. With the warmer weather it seemed as if everyone was outside. The parks were full of families picnicking, the skate park was packed full of kids on boards and blades, numerous runners and bikers were out along the route, and I even saw a gentleman and his dog out flying a kite. The funny thing about the kite flyer was he was using a fishing pole to reel in the kite.

I am sure to have forgotten something I wanted to add, however, it is time for me to pack up and head to the airport. I am off to Boston for the Patriot’s Day Red Sox game and cheer on the back-of-the-pack runners as they pass through Kenmore Square heading towards that ultimate goal of the finish line in the Boston Marathon.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

Yay for your longest run yet and some fantastic times! One day a few years from now you'll be one of those Boston Marathon runners and I'll be cheering you on like crazy!! :D

Robert Barker said...

Just noticed that you had linked to my site. Thanks. Great job on your run, running for 2+ hours is tough.

Tracie said...

Do you like your fuel belt better then a Camelbak? I have always used a Camelbak when I exercise b/c the extra weight is put on your back which is very easy place to carry extra weight and also they come in ALL different sizes for whatever you would need. They also have pockets for whatever you may need to carry. I guess whatever works and as long as you stay hydrated that is what is important. I will let you use your new belt for a while and see how you like it before I look into buying one. Awesome job on your times. You have made some serious improvements. When you download your Garmin info into the computer it must just keep making positive progress. You are doing AWESOME!!!