Saturday, July 19, 2008

All-Star Week...Back In The Saddle

Good afternoon everyone! It has been some time since I have posted. Although I have slacked in posting, I have not been slacking in the running department. Lots of running lately as my marathon training plans get kicking into a higher gear. Wednesday I put in a 12 mile run.

Some were surprised to hear that I did not watch the end of the MLB All-Star game Tuesday night so I could go to bed early and get up early for the run. It was a good thing I did, because as most of you know, the ballgame went well into the night. I was up at 430am Wednesday and running by 515am. I put in my 12.14 miles at 2:45:47. That translates into an overall average pace of 13:39 a mile, well ahead of my pace I put in for the OKC half marathon back in April. At 5am the temp was down to 72 and the humidity was up to 87%. By the end of the run at 8am the temp was back up to 75 and the humidity was down to 76%. By 10am, the temp was already up over 80. Hope that helps to explain the early rising.

With the 12 mile run being my longest since the OKC Half I was a bit excited about it. My running strategy for it was a run 5 minutes, then walk 5 minutes and repeat, therefore some miles would have more walking than other miles. I followed through with it after my initial warm up within the first mile. For those that are interested, here are my splits. I am interested in any feedback you may have.

Mile 1: 14:33
Mile 2: 13:55
Mile 3: 13:37
Mile 4: 13:27
Mile 5: 14:02
Mile 6: 13:15
Mile 7: 13:23
Mile 8: 13:09
Mile 9: 13:06
Mile 10: 13:25
Mile 11: 13:48
Mile 12: 13:08
Mile .14: 2:12

Total: 2:45:47
Pace: 13:39 / Mile

Thinking I would give status updates, the Disneyland Half Marathon is 6 weeks away. The Maine Marathon is only 11 weeks away. Maine is going to be tough, one because of the hills, although not as bad as my sister, A’s hills during the KC Hospital Hill Run, but also because it is a faster marathon. What I mean by that is they have a cut off time of 6 hours (Disney is a 7 hour cut off for a full marathon). This translates into a 14:00 / mile pace. Fortunately at this time I am on track to stay ahead of that. As we get closer I will keep you all updated.

As for the hills within the Maine Marathon, I think I will be okay. Friday night my wife and I made it a date and drove around some of the county roads near our home. For over two hours we drove along measuring a number of different routes. What we found were some roads to run on that will provide us with relief from the concrete from in town. In addition, the roads have numerous hills of various shapes and sizes providing that joyful hidden speedwork. As we were driving my face was lighting up in excitement. I am sure my body will disagree with that excitement after I get out and run those hills. I was a bit nervous about the hills of the Maine Marathon, until I found these hills of Norman to train on.

Other exciting running news, at least for me it is, I have surpassed the 400 mile mark on the year. As a result, I have bought my third pair (Brooks Addiction 8) of running shoes to begin breaking them in. My first two pair are at the 200 mile mark, with the first pair (ASICS) nearing their early retirement. The second pair (Brooks Addiction 7) I will be hanging onto I think a bit longer. For those not aware, typically the cushioning of your shoes are good for 300-500 miles. The reason for the wide range stems from the differences in body weight, frequency of use, and rest to name a few. Since my weight was up much higher and they were the only pair in the beginning my ASICS are getting the boot early. For now they have been relegated to my short distance shoe. The Brooks running shoes, both the 7’s and 8’s, are for my longer distances.

The one negative to report, although not entirely negative, is the weight has gone back up. The weight increased due to some slacking in the food intake department, but also from the rebuilding of muscle. During May and June the mileage amounts were a bit less, partially due to work and travel. There were a couple weeks where I was only able to get in a single run. All combined, I am back up to a total weight loss of only 6 pounds, having put back on 10.

There is your brief update. If time allows I will fill you in more on the past 2 months, but don't be holding the breath for too long.

Happy feet.

No comments: